Wildfire Alert Lands On Millions Of Phones As Drought Squeezes Fresh Produce Supply
- 9 minutes ago
- 3 min read
Millions of phones across England and Wales sounded on Friday evening as the Government triggered its Emergency Alert system over wildfire risk — a warning that lands on a fresh produce sector already reckoning with the same heat and drought that turned the countryside into fuel.

The alert was issued on a rolling basis from 7.01pm on Friday 14 August. It read: "There is a very high risk of wildfires nationally. Residents, landowners and visitors should not undertake any activity that could start a fire, including disposable barbecues, firepits, garden incinerators or fireworks."
First Secretary Louise Haigh described it as the most extensive use of the UK's Emergency Alert system in response to an active incident. Around 37 fires were burning across the country at the time, according to ITV News, with 19 homes destroyed in Stourbridge in the West Midlands and 200 Armed Forces personnel deployed to South Wales. Prime Minister Andy Burnham said: "Britain is a tinderbox right now."
Alongside the alert, the Government imposed an immediate temporary nationwide ban on the sale of disposable barbecues, ordering retailers to pull stock from shelves. Local authorities were also pointed towards Public Spaces Protection Orders to restrict open fires. Both measures echo calls made by the NFU earlier this month.
The Same Weather Is Already In The Crop
For growers, the fire risk is the sharper edge of a season that has been eroding supply for months. Nearly three-quarters of England and all of Wales are in drought. It was the driest July in 190 years, and only around 5% of expected August rainfall has fallen. Temperatures hit 38.1°C at Kew Gardens on 13 August.
Brassicas, leafy greens, potatoes, onions, berries, tomatoes and cucumbers are all under pressure, with slower growth, uneven sizing, crops going dormant in sustained heat and soft fruit ripening unpredictably.
John Walgate of the British Growers Association said: "Having struggled this year to maintain supply, with crops becoming dormant and smaller in weight and size, with variation in quality, the drop in yield is now effectively doubling the cost of crops once they are harvested and distributed."
More than 1,500 abstraction restrictions were reported in the week ending 6 August, limiting the irrigation that might otherwise have cushioned the damage. Food inflation has been forecast to reach 5% within months, up from 1.7%.
NFU deputy president Paul Tompkins has warned what a fire adds on top: "A stray match or single spark and months of hard work can be wiped out in just minutes; crops destroyed and harvest ruined, vital machinery and infrastructure damaged and livestock put at serious risk."
What Buyers Should Expect
Tighter availability, higher wholesale costs and shortened harvest windows are all in prospect, along with pressure on buyers to accept produce outside standard size and appearance specifications. Fresh-food counters are expected to show disruption first, because they carry the least safety stock.
Sourcing abroad may offer only partial relief. Dr Liliana Danila, chief economist at the Food and Drink Federation, noted that "across most of Europe heatwaves and severe droughts are impacting fruit, vegetable and grain supply."
That points to a structural question the sector was already asking before the fires started. Research published by IGD earlier this month found that 91% of food industry leaders and academics believe UK food system risks have increased over the past year, and that every single respondent said government policy had failed to strengthen resilience over the same period. Climate change and water pressures ranked among the top threats identified for the next five years.
Nigel Jenney, chief executive of the Fresh Produce Consortium, said of those findings: "This survey puts a number on something our members have felt for a long time. When nine out of ten of the people running our food system say the risks are rising, and every single one of them says government policy hasn't kept up, that's not a warning — it's a verdict."
The FPC's answer is a broader supply base rather than a narrower one, arguing for a resilient EU trading relationship alongside strong Rest of World sourcing, on the basis that no single region can safely carry supply risk alone — a case a summer like this one does little to weaken.
The barbecue ban remains under review while heightened wildfire risk persists. Housing, Communities and Local Government Secretary Angela Rayner has committed to a national wildfire summit with fire chiefs and unions later this year.


Comments